Fall 2021: Apply Early - Fly For Free
All students who submit their application for fall 2021 semester by February 15th, 2021, will have their roundtrip airfare for the program purchased by CGEE. You do not need to be accepted to the program by February 15th, but your application must be fully completed by February 15th to be eligible. For questions on the free airfare, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This semester program will blend together current world events, stories, and people, with core liberal arts courses for a rich in-depth program focused on culture, language, and social change movements of the day. Through class visits, excursions to rural areas, host family stays, guest speakers, and culture-focused course topics, students will be immersed in various Mexican realities, gaining essential skills for future academic and professional pursuits.
Learn more and apply to this program
Courses & Internships
- Learn directly from the people working for political and social change in Mexico, from a broad cross-section of society. Examples include: indigenous, Mestiza, artists, businesswomen involved in fair trade, environmentalists, feminists, government officials, human rights activists, and many more.
- Frequent guest speakers, excursions, and hands-on active learning to immerse you in the community and culture.
- Complete a for-credit internship at a local nonprofit that serves the community in which you are studying.
- Participate on a program run by an organization dedicated to social justice, which uplifts the voices of underrepresented and marginalized peoples in all programs.
- Host family stays with welcoming and friendly families in Cuernavaca. Housing requests for gay and lesbian-friendly, sober/dry homestays, and vegetarian-friendly are all available!
Your coursework is in English, all levels of Spanish speakers are welcome, including beginners to bilingual! (We recommend a base level of one-semester of college level Spanish prior to the start of the program, but it is not required.)
Students will choose 4-5 courses:
One Required Course, Choose from:
- Intercultural Communication in Mexico (Interdisciplinary Studies 492)
- Intercultural Communication (Communication 329)
- Introduction to Cultural Studies (Cross Cultural Studies 100)
Core Courses in the Liberal Arts Program:
- Spanish Language – over 18 options available
- Environmental Biology (Biology 118)
- Pre-Columbian, Colonial, and Contemporary Mexican Art (Art/Spanish 231)
- Latin Dance (Recreational Wellness 119)
- Mexican History, Culture, and Cosmovision (History/Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies 357), this course is taught only in the Spring semester
- Undocumented, Ecofeminist & Queer: Contemporary Latin American Liberation Theologies (Religion 344/Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies 324)
- (Im)Migration, Gender & Social Change (Political Science 357/Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies 352)
- Internship or Independent Study (Spanish language prerequisite of two semesters college Spanish to qualify for placement – see website for more details)
The Augsburg CGEE Study Center in Mexico, nicknamed "Casa Augsburg," is a 15-minute walk from downtown Cuernavaca and the main city plaza, in the neighborhood of San Antón. CGEE is well established in San Antón and has many friends and close connections in the neighborhood, including many of the homestay families. Casa Augsburg is located at the top of one of the large ravines that runs through the city, offering a dramatic view from the nearby bridge that leads to downtown. Because of the ravine, there is a 100-foot waterfall right in the neighborhood, a local eco-tourist attraction. Right across the bridge, students will find a large public garden/park, an independent movie theater, the Cathedral, and several popular cafés.
This program includes regional travel (included in the program fee). Weekend excursions includes locations such as: Puebla, Teotihuacan, Toluca, a volcano, and a natural water park. Seminars and homestays in rural Indigenous communities, and a short seminar in Mexico City are also included.
For More Information