Athens, the capital of Greece, is a bustling city that has a dynamic atmosphere architecturally, artistically, historically, and culturally with Mediterranean ties to Europe, the Middle East, and beyond. The city itself juxtaposes ancient Greek ruins with a modern city.
Academic disciplines in the curriculum include:
*For detailed course information, including online syllabi, please visit our website
Academic Field Study:
- Art & Art History
- Classical Studies
- Cultural Heritage
- Environmental Studies
- International Relations
- Languages (Modern Greek, Ancient Greek, and Latin; all levels guaranteed)
- Political Science
- Urbanism & Sustainability
Students visit sites relevant to contemporary and historical Greece during 3 faculty-led trips each semester to locations such as the Peloponnese, Central Greece, Crete and Northern Greece (Thessaloniki). When students are not traveling, courses are taught at the CYA academic center in Athens or on-site.
CYA provides and connects students with a number of extracurricular activities and internships/service learning. While we can help students find activities related to almost any interest area, some examples include:
- Athletic activities
- Greek dance
- Greek cooking
- Athens Marathon
- Annual Student Conference
Past examples of internships and volunteer opportunities:
Language of Instruction:
- Refugee aid
- Soup kitchens
- Environmental groups
- Animal welfare
- Special needs education
- Education - English as a second language
- Education - kindergarten/elementary
- Film & theater
- Libraries, museums, art galleries
- Marketing & advertising
- Social Media/Digital Content Creation
One semester or academic year
Approximately 150 students per semester. Since 1962, over 10,000 students from more than 550 English-Speaking colleges and universities have studied at CYA!
Over 92 percent of CYA faculty hold doctorate degrees, and many are considered global leaders in their fields. See a complete list of our faculty, including bios and CVs, at this link
Language classes average around 10 students; all other classes average 15 students.
Students live in CYA apartments within residential buildings in the Pangrati neighborhood of central Athens. Apartments have WiFi and A/C, are furnished, and come with a common area, double and/or single rooms, an outdoor balcony, and an equipped kitchen. The safe and highly desirable neighborhood in which students live has grocery stores, cafes, bakeries, restaurants, banks, dry cleaning shops, and a weekly farmer's market, as well as many other amenities nearby. Apartments are a 2-10 minute walk from CYA's Academic Center and are centrally located to sites, monuments, and museums as well as bus, trolley and metro stops. Homestays are also available to students who wish to dive deeper into Greek culture and family lifestyle. Students stay in hotels while on trips.
Lunch is provided Monday through Friday (except on holidays, and during recess) On academic field study breakfast is included instead of lunch.
Fees are quoted on our website. Program fees include:
- Tuition (four or five courses per semester)
- Lunch Monday through Friday (except during field trips, holidays, and during recess)
- Academic Field Study (including entrance fees to sites and museums)
- Supplemental hospitalization insurance
- Pre-departure guidance and materials (including webinars)
- Airport meet-and-assist services
- Orientation and acculturation activities
- Student support services
- Use of course materials during the semester (except Modern Greek Language books)
- Free internet access throughout the Academic Center and in student apartments
- Transcript sent to home institution and to student (unless you require a school of record transcript)
“College Year in Athens gave me the best semester of my entire life. From the exciting weekend trips to daily class visits to the Ancient Acropolis, I had a life changing experience at least once a week. Learning about ancient history while standing in the place where it took place was simply awe-inspiring.” Ariel Kline - Gettysburg College (Fall 2019)
CYA also offers Summer, Gap Year, Virtual Internship, and Executive programs. To find out more, visit our website.
Check out our website or email us at email@example.com