Passports and Visas
IF YOU CURRENTLY DO NOT HAVE A PASSPORT:One of the first things you should do after deciding to study abroad is obtaining a passport. You need to apply for one ASAP. This can be done at the Oberlin Post Office on Main Street. You should bring the following documentation with you to obtain a passport:
- $135 (The cost of applying for and receiving a new passport)
- Completed passport application (see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/)
- Valid proof of citizenship (original birth certificate, social security card, etc)
- Proof of Identity (a valid driver’s license or ID card)
- Two identical 2 x 2-inch passport photographs taken within six months of applying for a passport
- Can have these taken at the Oberlin Post Office, prices range from $8 to $15, must be on photo quality paper
IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A PASSPORT:If you currently have a passport, the first thing you should do is check that it will be valid for AT LEAST 6 months after your program abroad ends. If it will not be valid until that time, you must apply to renew your passport immediately. This process can take 4-6 weeks and can be done at the Oberlin Post Office on Main Street.
Important Note: Some Middle Eastern and African countries will not allow entry if your passport indicates travel to Israel; check with the embassy or consulate of the country in which you will be studying for their requirements.